In the beginning of October 1878 Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoevsky and his family moved to apartment at 5 of Kuznechny Lane and lived there till his death on January 28, 1881 . In the Soviet years the building on Kuznechny Lane was reconstructed and later housed ordinary communal apartments.
The memorial plaque was placed on the house of Kuznechny Lane in 1956. In 1968 the house was put to capital repairs, after which the apartment of Dostoevsky was restored by the archive plans and his contemporaries reminiscences.
In November 1971, on Dostoevsky's birthday, the inauguration of the Literature and Memorial Museum of the writer took place.